Friday, February 8, 2008

"Getting Ready For Later"

The Rose and Kettle Restaurant                   Open Friday Saturday Sunday at 5 PM
4 Lancaster St.
Cherry Valley, NY
www.roseandkettle.com

This is Clem at The Rose and Kettle. we're cooking up some exciting stuff this weekend, but before we get to that I have a brief interlude for you.

Here's the story of the week:

I went to buy 3 tablets of drawing paper on Tuesday for my daughter Agnes. I went to the Cooperstown General Store, my favorite store. The woman at the counter--whom I'd never seen before-- looked at the paper tablets while collecting my money and asked me: "Getting ready for later?"

I said "Yup."

And since that moment I've been wondering what did she mean? Probably just a passing small-talkism, but not one I've ever heard before--it felt rather existential. If I was buying party hats or a hand gun maybe I could understand, but drawing paper? "GETTING READY FOR LATER?" If anyone has an explanation for this that they can suggest, feel free to email back.

OKAY, BACK TO REGULAR STUFF:

The Rose and Kettle will be open next Thursday for Valentines Day. We will be serving our regular menu plus some classic lover's cuisine, like filet mignon with tuffles and hollandaise sauce, and roasted oysters rockefeller. Dining will be ala carte this year, so it will be all about freedom and choices! and love!!!

Alright. If your still reading this email you are most likely very hungry or starting to fall asleep, so I'll speed along and tell you about this weekend's menu.

We have our classic warm goat cheese tarts with caramelized onions; we have the recently popular new spinach salad with roasted beets, Stilton cheese and pumpkin seeds with a pomegranate dressing; and we have crispy winter rolls stuffed with potatoes, parsley and cheese and served with slow-cooked apples; on the entree side we have crispy duck breast with Madeira beurre rouge; our classic French-cut chicken breast and thigh with garlic mashed and sauteed spinach; We also have a great Baramundi fish from New Zealand, a thin filet, white and flaky, rolled in crushed almonds and served with a lemon sauce--this is a spun version of the traditional Sole Almondine!!! check it out.

And finally, this Sunday we are happy to have local guitar slinging cowboy Jim Faliveno with his baritone voice and his deep supply of classic country, pop and rock and roll tunes. * PM to 10 Sunday Night.

Alright, congratulations because you made it to the finish. Thanks, and have a good weekend!

Yours,
Clem



1 comment:

Scott Supak said...

Maybe there was a political event, sporting event, protest, or speed drawing contest later that day in Cooperstown? I did a news search and didn't see anything.

Maybe she just needed a break.